Hand of God

Hand of God

Friday, December 27, 2013

Be Still My Soul



Today I'm going to share a story about how God can calm our hearts and soothe our souls when we feel stressed or unhappy. The other day my companion and I were waiting outside of an appointment that we had, waiting for the person to get home. The whole day had been like this; people weren't home, people didn't want to listen to a message that could change their lives for the better, and I was feeling a little down and frustrated. I sat down on the stairs next to his apartment and started to wait to see if he would come back. As I was sitting there, I realized that I was feeling irritated and a little angry that all these things had happened, and I certainly was not in the right frame of mind or spirit to share a message from God about how the Gospel of Christ can bless families. I said a prayer to try and help regain the spirit that is so essential when we teach and testify of Christ and of our Heavenly Father. After the prayer, I had an urge to begin softly humming while thinking the words to one of my favorite hymns, Be Still My Soul, which goes like this (for the music, visit Be Still My Soul:




    1. Be still, my soul: The Lord is on thy side;
      With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain.
      Leave to thy God to order and provide;
      In ev'ry change he faithful will remain.
      Be still, my soul: Thy best, thy heav'nly Friend
      Thru thorny ways leads to a joyful end.
    2. Be still, my soul: Thy God doth undertake
      To guide the future as he has the past.
      Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
      All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
      Be still, my soul: The waves and winds still know
      His voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.
    Be still, my soul: The hour is hast'ning on
    When we shall be forever with the Lord,
    When disappointment, grief, and fear are gone,
    Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
    Be still, my soul: When change and tears are past,
    All safe and blessed we shall meet at last.

As I sang, I felt such a sense of love and peace it was almost overwhelming. I could feel God comforting and consoling me, helping me to understand that he was there for me even though things weren't working out exactly like I wanted them to at that moment. We all have times in our lives where we feel tired, sad, scared, worried and more, but God is always there for us in these moments, if we will but turn to him with our hearts and try to recognize the hand of God in our lives. I've seen this principle over and over in my life as I have remembered to call upon him, and he has never let me down. What are some ways that you have felt the calming and uplifting power of God in your lives?


No comments:

Post a Comment